Thursday, September 29, 2011

what to do with leftover taco filling

So, you have leftover taco filling? I know.. it's a shocking thing! I mean you can do nachos,but they are a bit over done honestly. Tasty, yes! Boring tho. I have been mucking around with other ways to deal with leftovers and have my family enjoy them. Pasties! Tasty little hand pies, filled with tasty goodness. So I hunted a pie crust recipe that used the food processor. I found this one.
http://www.marthastewart.com/333879/savory-pie-crust

Yield
One 9- or 10-inch pie shell
Add to Shopping List
Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
Directions

Place the flour, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While the machine is running, gradually drizzle in the water, processing until the dough comes together to form a ball.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape it into a flat disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.

Now I did change it a bit, I cut my butter the night before, tossed with a small amount of flour, and put it into the freezer. I knew I needed it to be COLD, and frozen was about as cold as I could think of. I also omitted the pepper and added some garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. Before I added the water, when I started getting things together I put the water into the freezer as well, again nice and cold, but with no ice cubes. I forgot to take pictures of all that.. but here is what you  need..


2 batches of the above pie crust recipe
about 2 cups leftover taco filling (mine was beef this time, from the hurricane tacos posted here http://tastytoesandotherthings.blogspot.com/2011/08/hurricane-tacos.html just use beef instead of chicken)
about 2 cups of leftover rice
cheese

(please ignore the bread in the background of the picture, it is my tasty challah that the kids wanted some of)



roll out the crust in 2 batches,


 and cut into about 4 inch rounds, I used a plastic cup to cut with.


Now start filling. You dont want too much in, or they explode.
Just a bit of rice


Then a bit of taco filling


Now a bit of cheese


Now wet one side with a finger dipped in water, smush the halves together and push the sides closed, then press with the tines of a fork. Poke 2 sets of holes in the top to vent, and lay on a parchment lined sheet pan.


bake in a 350 oven for about 30 to 35 mins. they will look mostly the same but firmer when you poke them.


You will still have some oozing out even when you crimp well. At least I did.
The kids LOVE this. They would have eaten them all if I let them. YUM!! I did have a few left that did not have meat, I ran out, so I filled them just with cheese and rice, they were good too, not as good, but good. What can I say, I like the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment